REVIEWS & USER RATINGS
Best SEO Companies March 2019
12 Best SEO Companies in USA – 2019
- Boostability – Best in the USA for local SEO
- Directive Consulting – Leaders in rapid strategy execution
- Searchbloom – Premier USA agency for creating custom search campaigns
- Social SEO – Best in the USA for driving leads and sales
- Victorious SEO – E-commerce SEO leaders
- Higher Visibility – National SEO experts
- Distilled – Specialists in conversion rate optimization
- WebpageFX – SEO masters
- Ignite Visibility – Best in the USA for international SEO
- Straight North – Nation’s best for full-service digital marketing
- LSEO.com – Premier lawyer SEO services
- Thrive Internet Marketing Agency – Best full-service digital marketing agency
The Methodology We Follow To List The Best SEO firms
We developed a process-oriented methodology, with 10 processes to evaluate an SEO company services from innumerable factors.
Note: The evaluation of companies on our website is done manually. Choosing the best SEO company is a process that involves social things like user satisfaction, details of the strategies used, the quality of work, project management style, customer communication.
These things cannot be explained in simple binary terms— like “yes” or “no”!
We are not one of those websites that just present you some random companies based on some baseless algorithms that depend on basic good or bad metrics that are detached from any meaningful context. Instead, to list companies on our SEO company rankings table for 2019, we dig deep to give you a complete picture that is full of nuanced grey meaning in between the black and white statistical data.
Here is the methodology we follow to get the in-depth analysis and insights you can see in our reviews.
Step 1: The Basics and Classification of SEO Companies
We find out if the company under examination is real. We do this by verifying the business email, contact number, address, and portfolio of successfully completed projects by the company.
The experience of an SEO firm is quite an important factor. We use tools like web archives to check the number of years the company operates online.
Detailed interviews with company executives or the SEO consultant in charge help us confirm their existence and find out details about the in-house processes and business practices, as well as their philosophy and outsourced modules.
Websites operate with different business models, and not all businesses need similar types of traffic. Some need targeted traffic, others need precise traffic from a certain location, while certain companies need search ranking simply for branding and reputation management.
Depending on the specific requirements, the choice of the best SEO company might vary from one case to the next. So we decided to classify SEO firms based on their main focus and specialization.
Step 2: What All Technologies Can The SEO Agency Use
There are many ways to develop a website. The proficiency of a company in the client’s preferred way and web development technology play a crucial role in technical on page optimization.
Choosing the best SEO agency from this perspective can severely impact search engines ranking factors such as page loading speed, usability optimization, and the responsiveness of the website.
How technical capabilities are evaluated
We figure out the list of technologies a search engine optimization company is comfortable with by doing the following things:
- We ask the company executives in our interviews
- We search its website for such information
- We scan the technologies behind its portfolio using builtwith.com
This analysis can play a very important role in excluding those companies that are not proficient with your preferred web development tools.
Step 3: Certifications and Verifications
There is quite a long list of SEO companies in the USA with ISO certifications. There are also a few companies that flaunt their Google AdWords and Analytics certification for promoting themselves as the best SEO and PPC company, which is fair enough.
Although we will give you the details of all the certifications a company has, we do not give much weight to certifications in our ranking methodology. The main reason for this is that it is not that difficult to get a certificate and that it indicates proficiency only if it has been issued recently.
A 2-3 years old certification is quite dated, especially in the dynamic world of SEO. What we believe in is reputation verification.
We check if there are any bloggers from the company on famous platforms. If they have had written any interesting blog posts, strategies and case studies. We also evaluate the Twitter profiles of influential people from the company.
Step 4: Aggregate of Reviews, Ratings, and Reputation Across the Web (Social Media, Discussion Boards)
SEO company reviews and ratings are decision-making factors for small business owners.
So we did not miss them!
How We Provide SEO User Ratings and Reviews?
We accumulate reviews and ratings from different sources to give you an overall idea on opinions of previous clients of the SEO companies
- Reviews – We consistently remind the listed companies to ask their clients to leave reviews on our platform.
- Interviews – We also reach out to the previous clients of the listed companies with a series of questions.
- Ratings – We accumulated ratings of the companies on the following factors:
- Quality of work
- Project management and communication
- We aggregate data from real users, ratings on the competitor sites (UpCity, Clutch) and data from the social media profiles of the companies, to provide you with a list of the ones offering quality SEO services.
Step 5: Case Studies
Examining case studies done by the SEO marketing company under evaluation is one of the best ways to assess the technical and strategic capabilities of the agency. The length and depth of case studies reveal a lot about commitment, attention to detail and knowledge of the subject matter, but it also shows the approach, focus and strategic resource management.
Companies that are confident in their expertise use case studies as a promotion strategy. We search for such case studies to figure out the strengths and weaknesses of the company we examine. This analysis helps with a much more granular classification of the SEO marketing firms we review.
What We Study From Case Studies?
- Their link building services
- How they optimize on page
- Their command on content marketing
- Technical optimization skills
- Most importantly, the care shown towards clients projects
Step 6: Strategy Talks and Transparency
Understanding the client goals, devising the right strategies, and maintaining transparency in detailing the strategies are some key aspects of every SEO deal. SEO is not some secret sauce and there is no point for search engine optimization companies to keep their strategies concealed.
In fact, we believe that divulging the general strategic approach shows confidence and serves as a great, honest marketing tool as it demonstrates what the SEO service companies have to offer to prospective customers.
Note: We don’t list any of those companies who are not transparent.
Figuring out the strategies the company uses gives us good insights into the capabilities of the company and the way it operates.
- We have a dedicated section with questions about strategy in the interviews we conduct with the listed companies.
- In case we haven’t conducted interviews yet, we use the information found in case studies and portfolio analysis.
Step 7: Project Management Methods
This might sound preposterous, but with the kind of research available on “how to optimize a website for search engines”, most of the best search engine optimization companies and consultants are aware of the best and the latest SEO strategies.
What matters the most is how they conduct themselves to implement them. That’s why getting insight into the project management methods of a company gives us a invaluable qualitative information about the work it can handle.
Unlike other factors, we cannot figure out this factor completely on our own without the cooperation of the evaluated company.
The main source of the information about project management style are the interviews we conduct. Indeed, some companies do not reveal these details, but we also send questionnaires to previous clients of theirs to hear all sides involved.
Step 8: Communication
For any B2B deal to flourish, proper communication is a must.
It is essential to translate your requirements and goals for the project in a meaningful and structured way so that the SEO company can understand your needs fully. In turn, the SEO specialists should present you with a working strategy that details the steps necessary to achieve your goals.
Laid out as we just did, this process sounds very simple but anyone with an ounce of business negotiations and process management knows that in reality such communications are intrinsically riddled with problems.
Arguably, clear and timely communication is the most important factor that predicts success or failure. A small misunderstanding of a strategic goal can derail the entire project, sending it in a direction one of the sides – usually the contracting authority – has no desire to go.
How we evaluate the communication level of the SEO agency
- We sign up anonymously for a service from the company we assess.
- We bug them with a myriad of questions related to the service.
- We review the whole process and analyse how good is the companies communication with the client in terms of understandable explanations, patience, timely responses and eventual suggestions to optimize the project.
Step 9: Customer Satisfaction, Retention
This is more of an add on to all the core elements we evaluate. We analyse the client satisfaction of the subject SEO agency by analysing the number of retained clients.
Naturally, the interviews we conduct with people and businesses who have dealt with the SEO agencies under scrutiny include questions about customer satisfaction.
Step 10: Redundancy Plans
SEO is not an exact science. A lot is guesswork and guesstimates and the rules of the game change constantly.
No matter how good is an SEO company, the strategies that worked last month might become obsolete overnight, with the next Google update.
Whenever this happens, a good SEO company comes up with redundancy plans. So, we ask about redundancy plans in the interviews we conduct and also check all details displayed on the company’s website about how it addresses the latest developments in search engine algorithms—from content marketing to link building to keyword research and everything in between.
In the following section, we have a simple guide with a list of to do things to help you choose the right SEO partner by excluding all the wrong companies for you and your website.
How Can YOU Choose The Best SEO Company?!
In the following section, we have a simple guide with a list of to do things to help you choose the right SEO partner by excluding all the wrong companies for you and your website.
Defining Business Objectives and Goals
Defining granular requirements for each of these categories can further simplify your idea about what KPI’s you want your agency to achieve.
Here are a few sample questions for each of the category that can help define the requirements needed for your business goals.
- What is the purpose of your site?
- Will it sell products?
- Will it serve as a portfolio?
- Is it there to attract leads?
- Do you want organic search traffic or paid traffic?
- Who are your competitors?
Marketing Related Questions
- How marketing will help your overall project or SEO efforts?
- Do you need marketing efforts to increase leads or sales or traffic?
- Why paid search for your project is better than organic search?
- Will the paid search campaigns help your organic search results?
- Do you need remarketing?
Basic SEO Related Questions
- How much traffic do you need to reach your company goals?
- What is the potential in the keywords you are targeting?
- Is the content optimized for target keywords and LSI keywords?
- What is the quality of traffic you are getting from your SEO efforts?
- What position in Google SERPs will give you the desired traffic?
- How many backlinks will you need to get the required rankings and traffic?
- How to edit meta titles and description for better SEO results?
- How long will it take for the website to rank?
Technical SEO Questions
- Is your sitemap intact with all the pages you want to be indexed?
- Is your website respecting Google’s crawl budget?
- Do you need a log file analysis?
- Are all your website pages optimized for search engines?
- What coding language or website building platform would you want to use?
- How fast is your website?
Conversion Rate Optimization
- Is homepage your only landing page or do your subpages make money too?
- If it’s your homepage is the design conversion friendly?
- Are you already tracking your clicks?
- What are macro and micro goals you need to set in Google Analytics?
- If subpages are also your money pages, how many clicks away are they from the homepage?
- Do you need to A/B testing already?
Writing down such goals will help you eliminate a big chunk of SEO agencies that do not provide services listed in your goals and objectives. Not just that, they also can help decide on what type of SEO company to choose (from SEO companies classification).
Let’s see when to choose what type of SEO service in the next step.
Criteria for Choosing Right Type Of SEO Agency
- If your goals are local, hiring best of local SEO company makes a lot of sense. Choosing a local company for local business needs can yield much better results much faster, as local agencies tend to know local markets better.
- If your requirements are global, top SEO companies in the USA listed on the table above are better options. An SEO agency with global reach should be able to apply considerable expertise and resources toward making your site a recognizable world brand.
- Naturally, if you are a small business, go with a small business SEO company. Small agencies usually are very attentive to detail, love their customers and are ready to go the extra mile for you without breaking the bank.
Once you are able to choose your type of SEO agency, now its time to search for a company that has already worked in your niche.
Find SEO Companies With Experience In Your Niche
Carefully check the portfolio of the company. See if it has worked on projects similar to yours in terms of size, business niche, and desired goals. Choose companies that have past experience that aligns naturally with your goals and you will have an even shorter list.
Figure out the strategies the company uses. Figure out if they are using white hat or black hat SEO and always go for white hat strategies.
The Final Shortlist Might Have A Few Companies
Now it is reviewing time. Once you zoom in sufficiently, a few of the shortlisted companies can be eliminated based on the reviews on services quality and communication quality. You can use reviews and ratings on our website or Upcity, reviews on Facebook or Twitter pages.
Try to get in touch with people who have used the SEO company for their sites. Of course, look for sites similar to yours.
Once you have technically filtered the list of SEO marketing companies, you refine the list based on social and logical perspectives.
- Time zone – It is important to choose a company from your time zone for obvious reasons. You want your SEO executive to be there for you whenever you have a question.
- Time estimations – SEO has so many interlinked subtasks. Without proper timely planning and execution of tasks, final business goals cannot be achieved.
- Price Estimation – SEO is still a vague, young niche that needs some standardization. Especially when it comes to pricing, even the biggest SEO companies do not have a proper pricing structure. Filtering the list with affordable SEO companies will further refine your list to find the right partner for your website.
Make A List Of The Best 3 Companies
Make a list of the best 3 companies from the shortlisted websites. Get in touch with each one of them. Talk about the following things:
- Present your objectives and goals
- Find out what strategies they are proposing.
- Evaluate how transparent and understandable they are.
- Evaluate the quality of communication.
- Find out the company that syncs well with your working style, budget, and deadlines.
It is a long process. But it is needed as the relationship with an SEO company is a big deal and usually, it is a long lasting one. Moreover, an apt SEO consulting and skilled team who will stay dedicated to your project can boost up your rankings quickly.
What Not to Do When Choosing the Best SEO Company for Your Needs
- Don’t rely solely on Google results for companies. The fact that they can rank their sites high doesn’t automatically mean that they can address your business needs adequately.
- Don’t rely on websites that hesitate to give you strategic details about the way they will achieve your goals.
- Don’t rely on directories that won’t give you details on how they ranked a certain company on the top.
- Don’t compare your objectives with the success of other big companies which used a certain SEO service. You should compare SEO results a given agency has achieved with companies from within the same niche as you, ideally with similar size and budget. These variables matter.
- Don’t rely blindly on suggestions from experts on the web. When it comes to a website, your goals are unique, which makes your SEO requirements unique as well. A data-driven, analytic research with strategic objectives in mind is the right way to choose a company the provides the best SEO services.
- Don’t rely on any single factor like reputation, reviews, ratings or classification of the SEO companies. A comprehensive approach is needed, otherwise, you’d be gambling with your SEO future.
- Don’t fall prey to sales copies. There is no scarcity of creative copywriters on the web that has honed the craft to induce readers with fear, to heighten a sense of desperation and generally muddle your thinking with psychological tricks.
How to Use Our Table
Considering so many details about an agency can be overwhelming. But it is absolutely necessary as dealing with an SEO company normally is a long-term relationship. It is best to set it right from the beginning, to establish terms of engagement, realistic expectations and solid lines of communication.
That’s why we designed our table in a way that allows you to customize it for your requirements. We also show you the best companies matching your requirements. A simple 15-minute analysis is all you need to set you in the direction toward the best SEO firm for your needs.
We listed a few factors above the table which you can use to customize the search. Just click on the factors that are applicable to your business. We will present you the best SEO companies matching your criteria.